Summit Education: Physical Agent Modalities - NEW ENGLAND
Nov. 8 - Natick, MA
Nov. 9 - Lowell, MA
Nov. 10 - Manchester, NH
Instructor: Kurt Gray, PT, DPT
Physical Agent Modalities
- Learn the principles, indications, contraindications, precautions and applications of thermotherapy, cryotherapy, diathermy, ultrasound, and electric stimulation
- Best practices for the use of physical modalities to reduce pain, control edema, muscle strengthening and the promotion of tissue healing
- Participate in hands-on practice using both ultrasound and electric stimulation
- Identify physiologic problems that could be improved by using physical agent modalities
- Add to the certification requirements for occupational therapists and occupational therapist assistants for the use of physical agents in clinical practice
The use of physical agents in rehabilitation can improve patient outcomes. Patient care success is often impacted by inflammation, tissue injury, and weakness. The use of effective modalities not only can increase patient function,but help in pain management. The use of physical modalities in pain management is currently a major rehabilitation focus in response to the "Opioid Epidemic."
This hands-on course will review the various forms of physical agents that can be applied to a patient to achieve a desired physiologic goal. It will cover the primary categories ofphysical agents including thermal, mechanical and electromagnetic agents. Additionally, this course will discuss the role of physical agents in effective rehabilitation. Following this course, the practicing therapist will return to the clinic able to more effectively use physical agents as part of a comprehensive rehabilitation program.
- Classify the stages of tissue repair and the neurovascular components of pain.
- Examine how a physical agent can cause change at the physiological level.
- Establish the principles and guidelines in the selection ofthe use of multiple agents.
- Summarize the indications, precautions, and contraindications for the use of physical agents.
- Discuss how physical agents can assist with the rehabilitation process.
- Demonstrate the use of physical agents as evidenced- based practice.
- Provide hands-on practice for the use of electrical and ultrasonic physical agents.
All our courses are available at a number of locations and at various dates. You can also take many of our courses online whether in video or text format.